Who we are
Created in 2021, the School of Communication, Media and Information (FGV ECMI) is a pioneer in developing the new profile of professionals that will work in the strategic sectors for Communication, Media and Information of public institutions, private companies and third sector organizations. The School combines the tradition of FGV and the extensive experience of FGV DAPP in the application of Technology and Data Science to innovate and propose solutions in the field of Communication.
FGV ECMI offers highly qualified professors from Brazil and abroad, an internationally recognized teaching method and an innovative curriculum, cutting-edge laboratories, and networking and professional placement experiences for students.
We prepare our students to current and future transformations in the Communication market, based on education encompassing:
- An innovative perception about trends in the field of Communication;
- An interdependent relationship between theory and practice;
- An interdisciplinary view of Communication;
- An in-depth look at data and technology.
Mission and Goals
The mission of FGV's School of Communication, Media and Information's is to produce, disseminate and expand access to knowledge, technologies and business models in the field of Communication, based on the education and qualification of excellent professionals, capable of meeting the demands and challenges of the digital age.
As a teaching, research and extension institution, FGV ECMI seeks to promote education, science and culture.
Our goals are:
The values of the School of Communication, Media and Information are:
- Connection between teaching, research and extension;
- Respect for diversity and combat of any type of intolerance and discrimination;
- Encouraging to academic, technological and intellectual production, particularly in the development of applied research for the improvement of local, regional, national and international communities;
- Encouraging dialogue, collaboration and transparency in our activities;
- Strong defense of ethical principles in our decision-making and in our attributions;
- Valuing the plurality of ideas;
- Ensuring equity in access, human rights and ethnic-racial equality in the institutional context and in the School’s internal activities;
- Recognition of the internship experience as fundamental to students' education process;
- Support for agreements and partnerships, aiming to bring FGV ECMI closer to decision-making and public policy centers, especially in education;
- Ensuring decision-making based on sustainability and environmental responsibility.
- Director of FGV ECMI: Marco Aurelio Ruediger;
- Vice-Director of FGV ECMI: Ana Lucia Malheiros Guedes;
- Coordinator of the Digital Communication undergraduate course: Eurico Oliveira Matos Neto;
- Administrative Manager: Juliana Gonçalves Mayrinck.
FGV ECMI's Evaluation Committee (Comissão Própria de Avaliação – CPA) is an autonomous collegiate body whose goal, in compliance with the provisions of Law No. 10861/2004, is to conduct the School's evaluation processes in order to meet the guidelines established in the legislation and in the dimensions of analysis established by the National System for Higher Education Assessment (Sistema Nacional de Avaliação do Ensino Superior – SINAES). The internal evaluation is carried out by FGV ECMI’s CPA, which is composed of two external members of civil society, community representatives, two faculty members, two representatives of the student body, and two members of the technical-administrative body.
Academic Records Office
The Academic Records Office (Secretaria de Registros Acadêmicos – SRA) is responsible for organizing, controlling and supervising all activities related to academic control, communication and archiving. The duties of the SRA are to perform activities related to enrollment, academic records and diplomas, certificates and other academic identity documents, as well as maintaining the necessary records of the courses and programs offered by the School.
The functions of the Office of Internal Affairs at the School of Communication, Media and Information will be carried out by the Academic Ombudsman linked to the Dean of Teaching, Research and Graduate Studies. The Academic Ombudsman operates in an autonomous and impartial way, directly linked to the institution's management to ensure the principles of legality, morality and administrative efficiency, safeguarding the confidentiality of information.
Internship and Career Development Center
In partnership with the Internship and Career Development Center of Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV NEDC), the School of Communication, Media and Information encourages the professional placement of students. The Center frequently organizes events with renowned professionals, organizes orientation lectures, publishes career opportunities, establishes internship and scholarship agreements, and offers technical qualification workshops and individual counseling. The FGV NEDC mediates the placement or reintegration of students and alumni into the job market.
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, from 8am to 5pm
- Location: FGV Headquarters, 3rd floor, Room 310 (Praia de Botafogo, 190, Rio de Janeiro, RJ)
- Telephones: +55 (21) 3799-5437 | 3799-5672 | 3799-5478 | 3799-5654
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: fb/nucleopedagogicofgvrio
- Instagram: @nucleodeestagioecarreirasfgv
Pedagogical Support Center
The Pedagogical Support Center (Núcleo de Apoio Pedagógico – NAP) of Fundação Getulio Vargas supports professors, coordinators and directors in monitoring and supervising the execution of the pedagogical project of the courses. It also offers didactic-pedagogical and psycho-pedagogical assistance to students and faculty. The work of the NAP ensures individual or group pedagogical and psycho-pedagogical assistance for the student body of our undergraduate courses, with counseling, study guidance and support for intellectual, social and affective development. It seeks to minimize the natural concerns of young people who enter higher education.
FGV Botafogo Campus
ECMI FGV is located at Praia de Botafogo, in the South Zone of Rio de Janeiro, in front of Sugarloaf Mountain, one of the most beautiful and well-known tourist attractions in Brazil.
Regarding infrastructure, FGV ECMI has:
- Air-conditioned, well-lit classrooms with audiovisual and computer equipment.
- The Manoel Fernando Thompson Motta auditorium, dedicated to large-scale events, seminars and workshops, with sound system, audio and image recording, projection screens and a multimedia projector.
- Teachers' room equipped with computers and other equipment to support academic activities and student service.
- Computer labs with physical infrastructure distributed throughout all FGV buildings to facilitate students’ and professors' access to technological resources. All rooms have high-speed internet access, in addition to all the services offered through the data network.
- Spaces for socializing and infrastructure for cultural and recreational activities for students, teachers and staff, in addition to a cafeteria and restaurant.
- Women's and men's bathrooms equipped with special needs facilities.
Mario Henrique Simonsen Library
FGV has one of the most comprehensive Human Sciences libraries in Rio de Janeiro
Created in December 1945, the Mario Henrique Simonsen Library (Biblioteca Mario Henrique Simonsen – BMHS) has an important and traditional collection with more than 100,000 titles and 230,000 copies, including books, DVDs/videos, theses and dissertations, e-books, sound recordings and periodicals in printed and electronic format.
The library provides 36 computers to its users, and the databases are available to anyone using a computer connected to FGV's internal network, either locally or remotely.
On its website, the BMHS offers the FGV Academic Collection, a single interface for accessing the print and digital collections of the four FGV libraries (RJ, SP, DF and Digital Library). Also accessible are the various databases signed by the Institution, articles from the Periodicals Portal of the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior – CAPES) , open access content and information on all services offered for local consultation, home loan, interlibrary loan and reservation.
A multimedia room equipped with air conditioning, TV, DVD, VCR, cable TV and computer is also available, as well as a book return service, wireless network, bibliographic survey, bibliographic switching, catalog card preparation, guidance on bibliographic standardization (standards from the Brazilian Association of Technical Standards - ABNT); reprographic service, guided visits, and user training through courses, workshops and lectures.
The Library also has group study rooms, lockers, book return service and a coffee machine. More information such as norms, regulation, Contingency Plan, availability of accessibility resources and Collection Development Policy are also available on the library's website.